Monday, June 4, 2007

Kiss My Grits.

I'm enjoying two packets of Quaker Instant Grits, Country Bacon flavor, and I can't believe how anyone ever thought this could possibly be a food product.

No, no, I love grits. I even love the instant, artificially flavored crap in a packet. What I'm saying is that the process involved does not sound like anything I'd want to consider for something I'd put in my mouth. It's a process thousands of years old, though, so I hope they know what they're doing.

The Country Bacon flavor is vegetarian, incidentally (the bacon bits consisting of soy protein and smoke flavor), and might even be vegan. I am not the expert, though.

My personal favorite of the grits world is plain old no-flavor grits, with a pat of butter, a little salt, and a good amount of black pepper. If I have gravy, I'll throw a little of that in there. I discussed this with my husband a while back. His family likes grits as well, but with sugar, jam or syrup. I suppressed my gag reflex and changed the subject.

No comments: